Monday, January 16, 2006

 

Heart templates

Jacqui was asking whether I'd used a template for my hearts (made for swapping via the Chain of Hearts group) and I thought ,maybe I ought to explain my way of tackling them:

The heart needs to be six inches complete,plus a half inch seam allowance.

I initially scanned and printed a six inch heart shape and then using an 8 or 10 inch square of STIFF card cut a heart template from the centre.
This serves two purposes:
the heart shape is great for marking the outline on the fabric,
and
the "window " I like to use to view my work without the distraction of raw edges and backing fabric.
I also like to place the completed heart in the "window" template for scanning or photographing as it gives a neater look.

So, to build my heart I commence with a square of foundation fabric generally at least 9 inch square( because I like embroidering and embellishing with my work in a hoop)

I mark a heart outline centrally on the wrong side of the foundation fabric and then start laying the CQ patches(on the "right side") until the area is large enough to use the template and mark out the heart shape.
I generally tack a stitch line around the area to show the borders and another basted line to remind me of seam allowance.

Comments:
Like the idea of the window Maureen. I did my template the other way, but I think I'll try this.
 
Jo
It means that you always have the same sized heart with virtually two templates for a double check.
 
Thanks for these instructions. I have seen a few of these hearts and just love them. As January 25 is St Dwynwen's day, the Welsh alternative to St Valentines. I have promised myself to make something that includes a heart every day this week.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe with Bloglines

Bloggers Who Embellish

Join | List | Previous | Next | Random